I’m moving towards the route of “mirror less camera” route. You can see the size difference above next to my Nikon D7000 with a battery grip.
What is a mirror-less camera you ask? Well it’s basically a smaller camera with all of the functions of a larger DSLR like my Nikon D7000. It just doesn’t have a mirror that flips up when taking the picture – see image below – click on it for a larger view:
This camera offers me the flexibility of:
- Cost competitive
- Shots 24 megapixels
- Shoots in RAW and Jpeg – RAW offers more flexibility in the digital darkroom
- Much smaller which allows me to carry it with me – inconspictiously
- Has interchangeable lenses
- Can buy an adaptor and use my other Nikon lenses
- Can even use my external speed light flashes with it too
- Shoots HD video at 60FPS – smooth slow motion
- Has focus peaking which tells me visually what is in focus (old eyes)
- Wifi capabilities
- Can control camera with an app on iPhone
- Send photos to my iPhone
- Has facial tracking
- Even has a “smile shutter” – it detects a smile and it fires the shutter – pretty cool feature.
- And has SO many other “Intelligent” features built in.
I rather excited about this little guy. Not getting rid of my Nikon D7000, that one is still my work horse, but now that I have a small compact powerful little camera, I hope to capture more special moments of life.
Below is a selfie using the smile shutter. Click on the image for a larger view.