Remember the problem with my dolly modifications for the 48hr film project coming up? I think I might have solved my problem.
When I first built my dolly I used some plans that called for the use of skateboard wheels – two on each axle. Then I would lay down some 3/4″ PVC pipe (in 10ft lengths) and place the dolly on top. The idea is the wheels would the PVC as tracks and go over any bumps.
It works in theory but rarely is PVC pipe “straight and true.” What ended up happening was the wheels would derail and slip off the track. This is why I thought it would be better if I didn’t use the skateboard wheels and switch to pneumatic ones. We all know how that turned out.
So I got to thinking. I need something to keep the PVC pipes straight without taping them to the ground. I walked over to my shed and found some old cedar fence post boards and below is what I came up with.
It’s simple, crude and works. I will keep a weight on the platform to make sure the wheels stay on the tracks and the added weight helps it roll smoothly as well.
I gotta keep telling myself – this is not a professional model but for what I put in to it (money wise) it works. See the pictures below.
So there you have it – problem solved. On to the next crisis…